An exclusive behind-the-scenes tour by LEAD planners and CSUSB delegates of the forthcoming Cheech Marin Center for Chicano Art & Culture of the Riverside Art Museum. Located in the Inland Empire, city of Riverside-California, The Cheech Marin Center for Chicano Art & Culture, nicknamed “The Cheech,” is a public-private partnership between the Riverside Art Museum, the City of Riverside, and comedian Cheech Marin.
Cheech Marin, LEAD XI Padrino de Honor, is one of the world’s foremost collectors and advocates of Chicano art. In the mid-1980s, he began developing what is now arguably the finest private collection of Chicano art. In addition to artwork loans to numerous institutions, this notable collection has been featured in over a dozen exhibitions produced and shown at more than 50 museums in the U.S. and Europe to date, including the Smithsonian, LACMA, and the de Young Museum in San Francisco. Comprised of mostly paintings, followed by drawings, prints, and mixed-media artworks, then sculptures and photography, his collection (which currently numbers approximately 700 pieces) will serve as the core of The Cheech Marin Center for Chicano Art & Culture of the Riverside Art Museum. A long-term goal of The Cheech is to supplement and expand the collection with Chicano artists, media, and subject matter not currently included through acquisitions and donations from artists and their estates, art collectors and dealers, and institutions.
- Dr. Enrique G. Murillo, Jr., Professor of Education, Executive Director & Founder of LEAD Projects, and Faculty Director of the Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership Program, CSUSB
- Patricia Aguilera, Student Services Professional IV, Financial Aid & Scholarships, Enrollment Management, and LEAD Projects Hospitality Director, CSUSB
- Rob Garcia, Interim Assistant Director of Information Technology Services at PDC, and LEAD Media Associate Producer and Production Design, CSUSB
- Sara Vega, Research Associate, PRAXIS Initiative, CSUSB
- James Trotter, Assistant Director, Academic Technologies & Innovation, Information Technology Services, and LEAD Media Producer and Director, CSUSB
- Jaquai Patterson, Videographer, Academic Technologies & Innovation, Information Technology Services, and LEAD Media First Assistant Director and Production Manager, CSUSB
- Dr. José Angel Gutiérrez, Attorney, Author, Chicano Rights Leader, Professor Emeritus of political science and founder of the Center for Mexican American Studies at the University of Texas-Arlington, and LEAD 2019 Padrino de Honor
- Dmitriy Astakhov, Instructional Designer, Academic Technologies & Innovation, and LEAD Media Graphics Design, CSUSB
- Christian Valdez, Student-Art Major, UC-Riverside
- Dr. Monica Alejandre, Associate Vice President for Operations, Director for Advancement Services, CSUSB
- Todd Wingate, Director of Exhibitions and Collections, Riverside Art Museum
- Ofelia Valdez-Yeager, Community Advocate & Educator, Riverside Latino Network, and Chair of "Reach for The Cheech" Community Campaign
CSUSB - Latino Education and Advocacy Days (LEAD), "Behind the Scenes: "The Cheech Marin Center for Chicano Art & Culture of the Riverside Art Museum"" (2021). Latino Education and Advocacy Days (LEAD) Video Recordings. 17.